City Engineer, Matthew J. Callahan, P.E.

Office Hours: Mon-Fri: 8am-4:30pm
Customer Service Counter Hours: Mon-Thu, 8am - 4:30pm; Fridays, 8:00am-Noon

Location:  2nd floor City Hall,  211 S Williams St,  Royal Oak MI 48067

The City of Royal Oak Engineering Division activity falls within the Community Development Department and reports to the City Manager. The Division’s major responsibilities include the performance, coordination and supervision of all Engineering services for the City. The Engineering Division is responsible for the development of programs for public infrastructure improvements including the design or design review, contracting, supervision, and inspection of most all improvements constructed by or for the City. Engineering is also responsible for reviewing and recommending solutions to traffic and parking issues and evaluates all planned public improvement and private development impacts to public property.

The City of Royal Oak Engineering Division regularly maintains and updates all records of the City’s public utilities, easements, streets and alleys, and properties including parks, buildings and rights-of-way. The updating of engineering records is necessary when construction changes our streets or utilities, changes are made to public properties by City Commission resolution or from other City departments.

The City of Royal Oak Engineering Division assists prospective developers, builders, and consulting engineers with information regarding the availability, size, and location of all City utilities. Information is also provided to residents and other interested parties as necessary.

The City of Royal Oak Engineering Division issues permits for Right-of-way restoration and improvements including road and curb work, public sidewalk, paving on non-single family property developments, and other engineering related items.

It is recommended that interested parties call Engineering to check hours and schedule an appointment for the application and pick-up of plan reviews and permits. Additional information, permit applications and instructions can be obtained below.




Informational Items

All Plans, Applications, and Permits must be submitted in person unless other arrangements are made with the Engineering Division. Payment for Permits shall be at the time of permit issuance. The City accepts Cash and Check Payments.

Additional Information:

Roadway Weight Limit and Seasonal Restrictions
Please refer to these State of Michigan Department of Transportation resources for official information about weight limits. Detailed weight restriction information may be obtained at . Please refer to the MDOT Truck Operator's Map for route designations. Information about Spring weight restrictions may be found at ,

Department of Public Service Issues
Please Contact the Royal Oak Department of Public Service at 248-246-3300 regarding the following maintenance issues:

  • Basement Flooding or Sewer backups
  • Streetlight Outages
  • Public Parking Lot Conditions and Maintenance
  • Road and Alley conditions including:
    • General Pavement Condition and Maintenance
    • Grading of Gravel Streets and alleys
    • Ponding Water in Streets/Roadways
    • Pot Hole Patching
    • Right-of-way Tree installation, removal and maintenance
    • Traffic Signal Malfunction

Oakland County Roads and Signals
Please note: Roadways and associated Traffic Signals in the City of Royal Oak that are under the jurisdiction of the Road Commission for Oakland County (RCOC) include Woodward Avenue, 12 Mile Road, Greenfield Road, Crooks Road, North of 14 Mile, 14 Mile Road, East of Rochester Road, 12 Mile Road, East of Campbell Road, and the I-696 Service Drive: Contact the RCOC at 248-858-7250 with questions and concerns.

Damage Claims:
Please Contact the Royal Oak City Attorney’s office at 248-246-3240 for any claim of damage.

Contact Us | Disclaimers | Copyright © 1999 - 2016 City of Royal Oak | Login
211 S Williams Street, Royal Oak MI, 48067, Ph. 248-246-3000